2018 Event General Information
2018 Event Overview & Details
The Permian Basin Writers Workshop, 2018 event, gives aspiring writers a better understanding of the craft of fiction and nonfiction, prepares them for the fast-changing world of publishing and promotion, and creates opportunities for meaningful networking and support.
Our intimate atmosphere and speaker/agent access will allow networking with a wealth of talent on both sides of the classroom.
Tips and Information
- A continental breakfast, lunch and snack will be provided for registrants both days. No-host bar at the Meet & Greet at the Doubletree downtown.
- Saturday – all speakers, agents and registrants are welcome.
- Registrants will have the opportunity to pitch to an editor or agent on Sunday. If you wish to pitch one additional time to a second agent, that may be purchased for $35 when you register.
- Dress as you like: but if you have an agent pitch session, we recommend business casual. But whatever you decide, wear comfortable shoes!
- We try to control the temps in the rooms, but they can tend to be cool. You may want to bring a sweater.
- The Bookies want to foster a healthy writing community in the Permian Basin. This is an opportunity to network with other writers—don’t waste it! Introduce yourself, ask what they write. You could meet a new critique partner and friend!
- Bring business cards.
- Bring a notebook to take notes; we’re planning an event to overwhelm your brain!
- There will be a bookstore onsite. Barnes & Noble will be selling writing craft books, and we’ll be selling the workshop instructor’s books as well.
- Each workshop will have a single sheet survey. We encourage you to complete them for each session you attend: we need your feedback to improve for next year.
- Here is our sexual harassment policy.
Although there are many hotels to choose from, thanks to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotels – Midland Plaza for offering rooms for Saturday and Sunday night at a fantastic rate of $89 a night (plus tax). You must use code PBW in order to get this rate.
You can book the rooms online or call DoubleTree today and don’t forget to use the #PBW promo code. 1-432-683-6131
- 8:15 – 9:00 Registration & Continental Breakfast provided
- 9:00 – Noon – Margie Lawson Workshop
- Noon – 1:00 – Lunch Provided
- 1:00 – 5:00 Margie Lawson Workshop
- 2:30 Snack provided
5:30 – 7:30 Meet & Greet for all instructors, agents and registrants at the Doubletree, downtown Midland. Come mingle and talk writing!
Each workshop session is 1.25 hours long.
- 7:30 – 8:15 Continental Breakfast Provided
- 8:15 – 9:30 Session 1 (4 workshops)
- 9:45 – 11:00 Session 2 (4 workshops)
- 11:15 – 12:30 Session 3 (2 workshops and agent panel)
- 12:30 – 1:15 Lunch Provided
- 1:15 – 2:30 Session 4 (4 workshops)
- 2:00 Snack Provided
- 2:45 – 4:00 Session 5 (4 workshops)